[TN-Bird] Spring Time Moves

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:54:18 EST

March 11-12, 2006
Shelby Co, TN
Tunica Co. MS

Besides the shorebird movement this weekend, there were a few move changes
in birds and their movements. In north Memphis, I ran across 3 Great Egrets
feeding along a swampy area and just to the south in Tunica Co, we counted 23
standing in one field. These birds probably arrived on the southern express
that  blew Friday-Saturday and Sunday. Barn, Rough-winged and Tree Swallows
were
in  evidence and Purple Martin populations have exploded.

Ducks, Geese and Gulls have pulled out leaving only token populations. A
single Laughing Gull was seen flying north on Saturday from Mud Island and one
Peregrine Falcon was seen feeding on Dacus Bar, still watching to confirm a
nest. The 400 plus White Pelicans seen last week on McKellar Lake had moved on
but 44 circled over Eagle Lake late Saturday.

I have found 3 Great Horned owl nests this year, none are in the locations
found last year. I did get a photo of just one bird's eyes peering at me over
the head of a fuzzy young. Fish Crows numbers are way up in all  section in
West TN with birds found at 4 locations inside Memphis,  Collierville and
Bartlett this week. One bird I photographed at Arby's in  Raleigh a good shot
showing diagnostic posture when calling.

Goggles of Cedar Waxwings are now doing their urban and municipal thing,
feeding on all the holly and berry bushes planted in town around government
buildings. We only found 3 Lapland Longspurs over in AR and none in Tunica Co.
MS
this weekend.

The best luck we had this weekend was with Western Meadowlarks, found in AR
and MS at 4 locations with singles in AR and two groups in Tunica Co, MS of 10
 and 13. We had great looks at them in the air and on the ground. They should
be  ready to bail in the next few weeks..........
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135