[TN-Bird] Re: Mute Swan

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 11:04:20 -0600

Thanks. I have been unsure how to treat eBird reports of these birds. Fortunately eBird reviews are easy to revisit as the circumstances and consensus shifts.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Feb 4, 2014, at 10:44 AM, Chris Sloan wrote:

I have two comments on this.

First, as to this particular bird, it's almost certainly part of the established wild population. I have birded Old Hickory Lake as much or more than anyone over the last 20 years and have never seen one (including Saturday afternoon), and it's a hard bird to miss.

Second, I generally assume that reports in TN are from the wild population unless there is evidence to the contrary. There are enough of them in the wild population and enough records of presumed wild birds in TN that it seems to me the burden of proof should lie the other way. Others may disagree.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com