[TN-Bird] Re: Mute Swan

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 16:39:15 -0500

OK, I'll buy that.

Rick Knight

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Mann
To: csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx;Rick Knight
Cc: tn-bird
Sent: 2/4/2014 3:04:56 PM
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: Mute Swan

And the timing is perfect for a Mute Swan from the Great Lakes population - the
same deep freeze that has pushed all the White-winged Scoters and Long-tailed
Ducks would likely push Mute Swans down as well.

I just looked at ebird for December and then January.   December shows 90% or
so of sightings concentrated close to the Great Lakes, with some in the
interior of Ohio
January shows a wave of sightings extending all through-out Indiana, Ohio and
into KY.

Jon Mann
Scottsdale, AZ

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:42 PM, Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was referring to the Great Lakes population.  I am not sure we disagree that
much.  My point is just that, absent some particular reason to believe an
individual was a released pet, in my opinion they are more likely than not to
be dispersed from the established populations.  Obviously, in your area, many
are known to be released.  Around here, there aren't that many.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com/

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Richard Knight <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I disagree, but depending on what you mean by "established wild population".
To my knowledge there are only some feral (i.e., formerly domestic) Mute Swans
that breed in Tenn., but none that I would consider wild & established in the
state.
Also, there have been some that appeared to be dispersers from the established
Great Lakes population, although that is nearly impossible to prove.   Maybe
the
individual at Old Hickory Lake fits this category.

Most Mute Swans in northeast Tenn. are known to be birds that were placed on
lakes or ponds by people.  Some can fly, some apparently can't.  Some have
successfully raised young, but that doesn't make them an established wild
population.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN