[TN-Bird] Knoxville CBC prelim results

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:20:00 -0500 (EST)

I have most of the results in from the Knoxville CBC which was held on
Sunday, 2 January.  If you were planning to give me your results at
the snowed-out KTOS meeting last night, please go ahead and mail or
email those to me.

So far we have 94 species on count day plus 1 (Fish Crow) during count
week which is near our recent average.

We haven't done well on owls so far with only Great Horned (but good
numbers of those).  Two of our normal owlers were unavailable and I
fell victim to the iPhone alarm bug oversleeping and arriving too
late at my trusty Screech-Owl spot (but did get a couple of Great
Horneds).  Ron Hoff's famous Barred Owl imitation apparently didn't
draw any of those in either... but he and Dollyann did score a couple
of Great Horneds.

Nothing extraordinary so far but a few good finds...
-- 1 SEDGE WREN at the UT Plant Science Farm is the best bird so far
(remember, this site is now off-limits but KTOS has special permission
for access during bird counts)
-- The Loggerhead Shrike at Roy Goddard Rd in Louisville put in an
appearance on the 4th or 5th pass.
-- 1 1st-winter Herring Gull at Louisville Pt Park
-- 3 Snow Geese in Louisville and 1 in Karns

The big story for the CBC and this winter in general has been the
return of decent numbers of blackbird species.  As I've pointed out
in past years, grackles, cowbirds, Rusty and Red-winged Blackbirds
have become increasing rare in west Knox Co during the winter and
we have often missed them on this CBC the last few years.  This year
we have multiple parties reporting all 4 species including several
hundred grackles which will be our highest total for that species
since at least 1994.  Now let's just hope they don't start falling
out of the sky!  :-)

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan