[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Report

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:16:51 -0800 (PST)

At different times of the day, a visitor to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in
Meigs Co. might have seen hundreds of sandhill cranes or almost none. Overall,
numbers of sandhills at HWR and at the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park seem to
be on the increase, probably from continued migration into the area from the
south. On the other hand, it is my impression that the number of immature bald
eagles is slowly decreasing. Perhaps some of those present earlier have already
headed north. Since I have spent fewer hours at HWR and CRMP in recent days, I
may be wrong on these "snapshots" of eagle numbers at the particular times I
was on site. There are still numerous ducks in the area and lots of great blue
herons on their nests.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN