[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Report

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:17:35 -0800 (PST)

With heavy rain falling much of the day, only about 13 visitors came to the
Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs Co. at Birchwood today. Never-the-less, these
visitors pushed the total visits to HWR to at least 3412 since the hooded crane
was first reported on Dec. 14. Yesterday, I rushed to get the report of the
re-appearance of the hooded crane online before I had to go to a meeting. I
didn't closely look at that visitor list until today when I discovered that a
couple from Fairbanks, Alaska, had visited HWR yesterday. This raises the
number of states represented to 45! The hooded crane wasnot seen today. The
largest number of ducks seen in the slough at HWR this season was present late
today. Many sandhill cranes flew into the area around the slough as well near
dusk.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN