[TN-Bird] Forks of the River WMA, Knox Co, east Tenn

  • From: dtrently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:43:06 -0400

It's summer and the bird reports have dwindled, especially from east
Tennessee, so here's something, especially to help newer birders know that
there are birds out there this time of year!

Sunday morning (July 27) I ventured to the Forks of the River WMA in Knox
County (near Ijams Nature Center, off Island Home Ave), more to look for
butterflies and dragonflies than birds. Several bird species were singing,
especially up to about 10:30 a.m. None would be considered unusual - but there
may be some life birds for some of you - and now you know where to go for
them!
The commonly walked trails there are becoming overgrown with vegetation.
Perhaps more people are using the paved greenway (blackway??) and leaving the
trails alone.
The following birds were found:

Canada Geese
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
American Robin
Brown Thrasher
N Mockingbird
Prairie Warbler (yep, still some singing)
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
N Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Blue Grosbeak
E Towhee
Song Sparrow
American Goldfinch

If your not interested in butterflies and dragonflies - read no more!

The main reason I went out there was because of a suggestion from my
naturalist brother, Allan Trently, who thought there might be some Juniper
Hairstreaks (a butterfly) in the cedar trees there. Sure enough, after a bit
of searching - I found at least three! These butterflies (greenish underwings)
are not easy to see, as they tend to stay in the cedars, not flying around
like most butterflies.
Other butterflies:

Cabbage White (abundant)
Clouded Sulphur (2 or 3)
Pearl Crescent (many)
Silvery Checkerspot (few)
Silver-spotted Skipper (several)
Hackberry Emperor (several)

Dragonflies:

Common Whitetail - mostly females, in dusty areas on the trails.
Widow Skimmer - 1 female
clubtail sp - (Black-shouldered Spinyleg?)

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN