[TN-Bird] Avocet / Ensley + White Ibis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:42:37 EDT

July 26, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
The female Avocet is still sweeping away at Ensley this morning along with 3
Short-billed Dowitchers. The numbers continue to climb with 3500+ Least
Sandpipers counted. Pectoral numbers were down slightly as were Western but
Semipalmated Sandpipers keep increasing. Stilt Sandpipers numbered 6 and
Semipalmated
Plovers the same.

Late this afternoon, Jerry Ingles from Sewanee called and said the Avocet had
been joined by a Black-bellied Plover. That brings the total species count
for the "Wind Birds" today at the pits to 15.

I located and photographed a single adult and 2 fledged Western Kingbirds.
They were covering a lot of territory and have moved away from the towers so
the
others could still be around.

This afternoon while at Mud Lake, I had 16 White Ibis (9 adult - 7 immature)
fly from Mississippi into TN. They continued north and probably ended up at
North Lake or Old Town. That completes my ibis list for the year and now just
waiting for the Spoonbills and Wood Storks.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.