[TN-Bird] Migration Day

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:11:13 EDT

July 27, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
I joined Jerry Ingles from Sewanee, TN and Wayne Patterson from Shannon, MS
at the pits this morning. There had been a drop in overall numbers and from
about 9:30 till 1:30, I had small groups of shorebirds dropping in and leaving.
Most of the travelers were Pectoral Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs but I also
had a few Stilt Sandpipers come through.

When I left to go south at 1:30, the female Avocet was still present along
with one Short-billed Dowitcher. One Semipalmated Sandpiper gave me a start
with
a pink cast over its body. It did not look like the normal acid stain they
use on shorebirds. I got a few photos through the heat shimmers and maybe I can
find an answer to this mystery. I have had dyed birds before but none colored
like this. I've had 3 Semipalmated and a Least Sandpiper before that were
colored brownish that were definitely not dyed. These birds always keep you on
your toes. Total shorebird species for the day rounded out at 14 again.

A little more time spent today looking for Western Kingbirds paid off with
both of the adults and their 4 fledged young. The adults were still feeding 2
of
the young while two seemed to be getting their own snacks. They would break
up and move in different directions but then end up sometimes sitting together
for a short period. One adult leaves for extended periods and I think it is
the male because he is far less worn than the bird that stays with the young
most of the time.

No luck on the levee at Mud Lake nor any of the other regular areas I looked
into in TN or MS for unusual waders.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA