[TN-Bird] Feeder standoff with the squirrel

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:42:08 EDT

The squirrels finally got my bird feeder where they wanted it - on the
ground. I wasn't around to hear the crash but I saw the aftermath. The feeder
lying on its side, the former contents littering terra firma.  At first our 3
guineafowls were partaking of the free feast.

But from an upstairs window I viewed a funny and surprising incident
involving a squirrel. The squirrel was feeding there a while later and a
rooster and a hen were creeping up cautiously. I guess the rooster got a
little too close and that squirrel just leapt right at his face! The rooster
pecked at it and the squirrel ran up the tree a little ways. The rooster and
hen vacillated a bit then moseyed on deciding to post-pone sampling my wares.

The squirrel came down and started eating again and successively chased away
a Brown-headed Cowbird and a Mourning Dove who got too close.

A truck and dogs running behind it alarmed the critter and he high-tailed it
for a higher altitude.

Oh for a camera when you need it, eh? lol

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN