[TN-Bird] Out with the old, in with the new

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:34:01 EDT

Nice to see a few Song Sparrows feeding on the ground under the feeders this
year. I saw the last one sometime in March I believe.

While on a trip to Eureka Springs, AR I got my first sighting of a Pileated
Woodpecker. I had only heard them prior last year on a Fall Count for the
Nashville chapter of the TOS - at Radnor Lake.

I left for my trip on April 9. It was cold that morning and we still had
Dark-eyed Juncos at the feeders. I returned on April 14 and didn't see
anymore juncos until this weekend and I saw one on April 26 and 27. So I
guess they haven't all left like I thought.

First returning Ruby-throated Hummingbird seen on April 19.

First returning Yellow-billed Cuckoo heard on April 21. That day also heard
the first returning Summer Tanager.

April 27 heard the first returning Indigo Bunting. So far still no Eastern
Wood-Pewee, Common Nighthawk, Chimney Swift or Chuck-will's-widow on our
property. Once I get all those then I KNOW the warm weather is here to stay -
yeah! lol

Question? What is the ratio of sugar to water for hummer food? Is it 1 sugar
for 3 water?

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN (near Stewarts Creek and Gibbs Knobb)