[TN-Bird] Cowbird invasion

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:47:32 EDT

Brown-headed Cowbirds have been scarce in our yard for a few years. But they
are back again with a vengeance. I have counted up to at least 30 at a time
at the feeders. The smaller birds stand back and wait until the cowbirds
leave before they feed. But the larger birds aren't usually intimidated even
by larger numbers of them. The chickens sometimes allow them to feed next to
them but sometimes (particularly hens with chicks) they chase them away. The
guineafowls don't mind them at all.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN