[TN-Bird] "Where have all the grackles gone?"

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:52:40 EDT

We had a big freeze (well...big for us since it hardly ever snows here in the
winter) early this winter and shortly after I noticed that the Northern
Mockingbirds and Common Grackles vacated the yard. I still saw both species
when I went to town but they just weren't in our yard anymore.

The mockingbirds finally returned only about a month ago. But I have only
seen one grackle since then - on April 24. The air just up the road is full
of their cries because they are roosting in the trees in those yards. But we
have none in our yard.

Wonder if the Brown-headed Cowbirds are keeping them away? Too close to the
same family for comfort? ;-) You know how cousins can be sometimes.

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN