[TN-Bird] Re: FW: Re: Cherokee Dam Area Sunday Afternoon

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ben Britton <benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:27:19 -0500

Ben,  Your email is dated tomorrow, Feb. 4.  Strange.

Anyway, I was at the dam this afternoon. Monday, Feb. 3,  around 2:15.  Did not
see the Long-Tailed Ducks.  Only ducks I saw were 12 scaup.  I parked at the
overlook and walked out the road past the closed gate to get  closer look.
They were Greater Scaup.  Otherwise just hundreds or thousands of gulls.  And a
Bald Eagle flew past.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville

From: benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] FW: Re: Cherokee Dam Area Sunday Afternoon
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 00:44:31 +0000

From: benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [TN-Bird] Re: Cherokee Dam Area Sunday Afternoon
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 00:38:13 +0000

Feb. 03, 2014
Arrived at picnic area side about, 915 this morning, in mist/ light rain.  Five
Long-tailed ducks were still there!  Plenty of ring-billed gulls, with a
sprinkle of Bonneparts as well.  There was a large raft of ducks (apprx. 130)
on up by the dam.   I could only confirm about 30 redheads, 100 scaup, and 3
canvasbacks.  I only had 8X binoculars, so some other ones went unidentified
further out in the channel.  I tried to make some of the scaup out as
greater....but, I could not confirm, and feel all I could be sure of were the
Lesser scaup.  Other notables were a flyover Bald Eagle, 3 golden-crowned
kinglets, and a Black-crowned night heron under the Hwy 25 bridge.
Been birdn?
Ben Britton Morristown, TNHamblen Co.

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 04:00:19 +0000
From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: Cherokee Dam Area Sunday Afternoon

Chris Myers and I were at the Dam at approximately 2:30 - 3:00 on the picnic
area side and had views of the 5 Long-tailed Ducks the whole time.  They were
sometimes hard to see due to the foggy mist, but we did find them, but only
Mallards duckwise, lots of gulls.

Keith Watson
Pittman Center, TN