[TN-Bird] Cherokee Dam - 2/3

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 21:37:21 -0500

I was at the south end of Cherokee Dam from about 3:30 - 6:00pm today. I
started at the boat launch, then went to the picnic area. From here I located
the 5 Long-tailed Ducks about half way out in the channel. Also had 20 Scaup
(not sure Greater or Lesser) and a Mallard from here along with lots of
Ring-billed (mostly) and Bonaparte's Gulls. I then walked out to the dam where
I saw 12 more Scaup (I believe Lesser based on some of the males' sides being
grayish), 22 American Coot, and at least 5 Herring Gulls to go with the tons of
mostly Bonapartes's Gulls floating here. The 5 Long-tailed Ducks had followed
me and were now in front of the dam a ways out. The light was fading so I
didn't check the north side.

Shane Williams
Knoxville, TN