[TN-Bird] Crane weekend--thanks from a consumer

  • From: "pfwells" <pfwells@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:00:07 -0600

Let me add a word of thanks from the perspective of a satisfied customer to
all those who worked to put on the Birchwood crane festival.  I didn't make
it to the Saturday events, but ran down to the refuge on Sunday and spent a
very pleasant 2-3 hours watching the action and talking to some of the local
birders--incoming TOS president Danny Gaddy, Roy and Debbie Shannon, and one
lovely lady whose name I regret that I did not catch.  They all had scopes
set up and provided friendly, knowledgeable assistance to many, many folks.
I suspect that their efforts probably resulted in making serious birders out
of people who previously had only a passing interest in birds.

Numerous TWRA personnel were on hand as well, and were also very helpful to
all the watchers.  Thanks to them not only for their time but also for
opening up a somewhat expanded area around the gazebo to accommodate all the
viewers.

A final note--from the Hiwassee refuge I went to check out the new Yuchi
refuge, just below Watts Bar dam.  The viewing area there is a lovely spot,
on a small hill overlooking a large open space with the river just in sight.
Lots of bird activity out there, and though I didn't see anything really
outstanding or unusual [other than perhaps the immature Cooper's Hawk that
darted back and forth across the road in front of me a few times on the
drive out there], it was definitely worth the trip.  Unlike at the Hiwassee
I had the place vitrually to myself.  I look forward to making return
visits.