[TN-Bird] Cooper's Hawk Visit

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 01:05:21 +0000 (UTC)

I was able to leave work early today, so I thought I would use the remaining
daylight to watch feeder birds through the window.  On a whim I went to get my
camera and when I came back, everything was gone but a dark-eyed junco in the
pear tree. I kept hearing a chip sound, but couldn't figure out for the life of
me where it was coming from.  I finally looked below the window at the cut
cedar placed for cover and there - a Cooper's Hawk less than 10 feet from me!
He stayed for quite some time before flying off.  Eventually the feeder birds
came back as I piddled around.  I looked and there the hawk was again!  This
time it flew from the trellis, to the feeder and underneath the window less
than 6 feet away!  It wanted the sparrows that were hiding out in the cover.
The bird looked much like a chicken as it walked around the tree, went in the
tree, came out, ran around to the other side and repeated.  It was quite
comical.  The hawk did this for about three minutes.  Just as I decided I would
rather have a video of this than try to get a good picture, it flew away.
In reviewing the pictures, it appears the hawk had eaten right before visiting
the first time.  See the flesh hanging from its beak and in its talons.

http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/153894963

http://www.pbase.com/kristybaker/image/153894964

Kristy Baker
Rockvale, TN