[TN-Bird] Common Mergansers, R-N Grebes, W-W Scoters, L-T Ducks

  • From: Chuck Lola Estes <chucklola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 21:34:20 -0500

March 7, 2014

Douglas Lake
Jefferson County
2:00pm to 3:20pm

Following up on info posted by Ron and Dolly Ann yesterday, I went over to
Douglas Lake to find the Common Mergansers seen off Hwy 139 east of Douglas
Dam.  It took two passes but around 3:00 I finally found what were likely 4 of
the 8 Common Mergansers seen by Ron and Dolly Ann.  I found them in some
shallow pools in the lake bordering Hwy 139 approximately a mile east of where
the Deep Springs Road intersects Hwy 139.  There is a large condo unit on the
right side of Hwy 139 that the birds were behind.  The birds seem to be working
this area back to Deep Springs Road.  Access along Hwy 139 is very limited with
views restricted to along the highway.  A scope is definitely required.  I was
able to pick out two males and two females but was nearing the scope limit.

Cherokee Lake
Grainger County
4:00pm to 5:20pm

Afterwards, I drove up to Cherokee Lake.  Ringed-billed Gulls totally dominated
the area around the dam overlook.  I could scope rafts of ducks and grebes up
lake so I went to the gravel access north of the dam.  Going north on Hwy 92
take Hwy 375 (Lakeshore Rd) to the right (northeast) and go up the hill 1/2 a
mile to a gravel road immediately past the paved road for Gate #4 for the dam.
is also opposite the Oakland Baptist Church cemetery.   Go downhill to the
lake; at the end of the road there are good views up and down the lake.  A
spotting scope is essential.  You will be very frustrated without one.
Recommend going later in the afternoon to have the sun at your back.  There
were three rafts of ducks with grebes mixed extending a mile or so up lake (to
the north).  The rafts consisted primarily of Scaup, Redheads, and Buffleheads
with some American Wigeon and Gadwall mixed in.  Probably 300-500 birds.  I
feel like most of the birds were in Grainger County though Jefferson and
Hamblen County lines are very near the area.  With the scope I was able to pick
out the following:

15 Red-necked Grebe
40+ Horned Grebe
7 Long-tailed Duck