[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery Shorebirds

  • From: Chuck Lola Estes <chucklola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:37:17 -0400

March 19, 2014
Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery
Anderson County
1:50pm to 2:50pm

Lola and I checked out Eagle Bend this afternoon hoping for some shorebirds
moving through with the recent rainy weather.  We were not disappointed.  We
had 7 Pectoral Sandpipers, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs in the
first couple of ponds on the left coming in.  The second pond on the left was
empty but had some good mud from the recent rains.  The birds were mainly
around this pond but were very squeamish and flew around numerous times.  They
also spent time resting on the dikes.  There was one American Pipit in the mud
pond as well.  We also had 8 Wilson’s Snipe in the drainage area next to the
new impoundment in the back.  Not much else to report other than 2 Blue-winged
Teal, 2 Redheads, 2 Gadwalls, Mallards, and Killdeers.

Chuck Estes
Oak Ridge, TN