[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #8

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:29:01 -0400

This is Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the Chattanooga
Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #8 made on May 10, 2005.

Migrant passerine numbers are starting to wane at the Cravens House.  On
Sunday May 8 eleven species of warblers were seen.  The highlights

included:

1 Male Black-throated Blue (FOS) (a very uncommon migrant in our area)

2 Bay-breasted Warbler

11 Blackpoll

9 Cape May

2 Chestnut-sided

2 American Redstart

8 Tennessee Warbler

4 Black-throated Green

2 Common Yellowthroat

1 Hooded

1 Yellow-breasted Chat (FOS for CRA)

Others:

3 Gray-cheeked Thrush

1 Veery

2 Swainson's Thrushes

7 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

6 Baltimore Oriole

4 Eastern Wood Peewee

1 House Wren

 (Kevin Calhoon)

Heard my first Chuck-wills-widow ever at the Cravens House on May 6. (Kevin
Calhoon)

(Post from David Stone)This post is late but Saturday afternoon May 7 from
3:00 until 8:15 PM, twenty three members and guest of the Chattanooga
Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society birded The Honors Golf
Course in Ooltewah. The Honors Course has a good mix of short grass in the
playing areas with tall grass, wildflowers, bushy areas, woods and water
between holes. A total of 59 species were seen or heard.

Bird species included:

Canada Goose

Mallard

Great Blue Herron

Turkey Vulture

Red-tailed Hawk

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper

Rock Dove

Morning Dove

Chimney Swift

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Eastern Phoebe

Great Crested Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Purple Martin

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown-headed Nuthatch

Carolina Wren

House Wren (2 building a nest in a Bluebird box) Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird Wood Thrush American Robin Northern Mocking Bird Brown
Thrasher European Starling Cedar Waxwing (23) Cape May Warbler Yellow-rumped
Warbler Palm Warbler American Redstart Common Yellowthroat Yellow-breasted
Chat Sumner Tanager Eastern Towhee Chipping Sparrow Field Sparrow Song
Sparrow Northern Cardinal Blue Grosbeak Indigo Bunting Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle Brown-header Cowbird Orchard Oriole House Finch American Gold
Finch

Misses (birds I have seen on the course the past week but missed Saturday)
included : Wild Turkey, Cooper's Hawk, Bob White Quail,

    No Eastern Meadow Larks have been seen on the course the past two years.
In years past there were always a few. Also the Bob White Quail have gone
from several to only occasionally seeing a couple. The Ooltewah area has
developed a lot recently and I am sure that is partially responsible but we
have almost 600 acres protected. I wonder if the decline could be due to the
Imported Red Fireants becoming established here. I think I remember reading
a few months ago about them possibly killing the young chicks of ground
nesting birds.

Up Date : Today May 10 we saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch

                eating beef suet on the course. I was surprised any were
still here this late at an elevation of 800 feet.

David Stone

Ooltewah

The young Peregrine "CD" is alive and well, he is 28 days old and very
active. We have given up hope for the other chick or chicks as we have seen
no sign of them or the parents feeding them in the past week. We saw them
being feed 4 different times after "CD" walked out where we could see him
but no action in a week is a sure sign they did not survive. Now we will try
to get "CD" off on his first flight around May 20 and look forward to next
year.  (Harold Sharp)

The National Migration Count will be held on May 14.  For more information
call me at 423-785-4070.

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on May 12 at 7:00 PM
at Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!