[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #8

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:37:14 -0500

You have reached Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the
Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #8 made on April 1, 2003.

You can call the RBA at 423 -821- 4381.

Three American Golden Plovers were seen behind Boyd Buchanan at the Brainerd
Levee on March 30 and 31. (Marty Paige and Kevin Calhoon) Also present were
2 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and around 40 Pectoral Sandpipers.
BEWARE:  One of the Boyd Buchanan teachers yelled at me from the playground
and said she was going to call the police because I was "spying on the
children".  I was on the levee near the bench a good 400 yards from the
playground.  In our conversation she said she thought the levee path should
be closed to the public because people like me were harrassing the children
and the levee area needed to be drained ( their lawyers were working on it)
because it was making the children sick and the geese were pooping on the
athletic fields! We have heard all of this before!

John Henderson and Dan Jacobson birded Hamilton, Marion, Meigs and Bradley
Counties, TN from 5:30AM - 7:50PM, listing 100 species. The day was quite
cold and windy and rainy at the beginning and end. We observed a few
noteworthy species:

GREAT EGRET: one bird at Electric Test Vehicle Pond, Chickamauga Dam
WOOD DUCK: flock of 45 on Hiwassee Island, seen from Blythe Ferry Bluff
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER: 8 birds from Chickamauga Dam
BALD EAGLE: one 3rd year bird at Savannah Bay; one adult flying over
Hiwassee Is.
WILD TURKEY: heard calling on Moccasin Bend; three birds seen along Garden
Rd.
GREATER YELLOWLEGS: 6 birds at Brainerd Levee
LESSER YELLOWLEGS: 3 birds at Brainerd Levee; 4 birds at Blythe Ferry WMA
(gazebo)
PECTORAL SANDPIPER: 8 at Brainerd Levee; 150+ at Blythe Ferry WMA (gazebo)
CASPIAN TERN: 1 bird flying downriver at Nickajack Dam
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD: 1 female at 9366 Bennie Lane-thanks to Carol Fegarido
for making
       the arrangements for us!!
FISH CROW: 3 birds at two different locations in Hamilton County
WH.-CR. SPARROW: 1 adult at Riverport near barge dock; two adults in
brushpile near pond along
       Blythe Ferry Road
Did not find the Ross's Goose seen earlier in the week. Did not visit
Standifer Gap Marsh.
Had seven species last Saturday (3/15/03) that we did not see today.

Daniel R. Jacobson.
Hixson, TN

The first report of Northern Parula came from Rivermont area on March 25.
(Mary Lynn Buttram)

A Blue-headed Vireo was reported from the Craven's House on March 31. (Kevin
Calhoon)

The first report of Lousiana Waterthrush came the Tennessee River Gorge in
Marion co. on March 22. (Dan Jacobson)

Two Black and White Warblers and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were seen on the
Lula Lake Land Trust property in Walker co. GA on March 21 and 3 Blue-headed
Vireos and 2 Louisiana Waterthrushes were there on March 27. (David Aborn)

There is now some Peregrine Falcon activity below Chickamauga dam.
Apparently a new female is present with the old male which has been present
for several years.  She looks to be a young bird with some immature plumage
remaining. (Harold Sharp)

This is still a great time to see the displaying American Woodcocks at the
model airplane field on Moccasin Bend.  The beeping starts about 7:00 EST.
At least two males were in flight on March 6 and they are still being seen.
(Kevin Calhoon)

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on April 10 at
7:00
PM at the Accension Luthern Church 720 South Germantown Road.

Spring migration is heating up. Get out in the Field and let me know what
you see!!