[TN-Bird] Cerulean Warbler, Connecticut Warbler, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 22:42:01 -0400 (EDT)

August 1, 2009
Greene County: Greeneville, etc.

Rain in Greeneville last night and early this morning produced a nice fallout
of birds. I spent a little over half an hour birding a vacant woodlot in town
between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m. and found the following:

Cooper's Hawk
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo (2)
Purple Martin
Gray Catbird (3)
Cerulean Warbler (female or immature)
Black-and-white Warbler (adult male)
American Redstart (2 female and/or immature)
Worm-eating Warbler
Connecticut Warbler (female or immature)
Hooded Warbler (calling).

Elsewhere later in the day I added Wild Turkey (9), Solitary Sandpiper, Eastern
Wood-Pewee (3), Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Common
Yellowthroat, and Grasshopper Sparrow.

The Connecticut Warbler, a rare species, was really astonishing, given the fact
that today's date is five or six weeks before we would normally expect to find
one. I distinguished it from similar species (especially Mourning Warbler) by
the following combination of field marks:

eyering: complete, thick, and bold, without other obvious facial features;
upperparts: olive-brown, without wingbars or other patterning;
breast and belly: very pale yellow;
undertail coverts: very pale yellow;
legs and feet: pale pink.

The facial pattern and pale yellow underparts distinguish it from Mourning
Warbler, which would be slightly more expectable but nonetheless rare.

I viewed the bird from about 20-30 feet in the understory at the edge of the
woodlot at a height a little above eye-level. It had flushed from a low thicket
nearby and perched above me when I picked it up with binos (10x Bausch & Lomb).
It was frontlit in dappled shade. It did not vocalize. Although I did not see
the throat or bill, I was able to view the the rest of the bird briefly but
well.

Other August reports for Connecticut Warbler in East Tennessee include the
following:

August 21, 2008 (Clyde Austin 4-H Center, Greene County) (Don Holt);
August 23, 2007 (banding station, Hamilton County) (David Aborn).

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

                       MAP RESOURCES