[tn-bird] Re: CLARK'S NUTCRACKER...near Anniston Alabama

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 06:43:29 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/02 5:13:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx writes:

> Just a thought for those of you who head to Alabama to hunt for Clarke's
> nutcracker...............I got my first one(s) as I was walking behind
> Timberline (Timberlake?) Lodge on Mt. Hood, Oregon.  It was just past lunch
> time, and I was finishing off a bag of potato chips as I walked.  I dropped
> half of one, and, voila, several nutcrackers flew from the top of the
> building right down to my feet to snatch it up.  I emptied the rest of the
> package (about 6 chips) on the ground.  They snacked, I feasted on looking
> at
> them, and they followed me the rest of the way around the hotel to my car
> in
> the parking lot, apparently hoping for more chips.  I do not necessarily
> suggest potato chips as food for them, but I have since seen them in
> various
> places eating (scavenging) almost anything.  Perhaps they have cast iron
> stomachs.  It seems that many birds do.
>
> At Mt. Charleston, north of Las Vegas, I took pictures of these birds
> feeding
> on the pine nuts of the lodgepole pine.  They are delightful, and usually
> somewhat tame, birds, so GO TO SEE THIS FELLOW if you have never seen one.
> I've never seen a Clarke's I wasn't glad to see.
>
> Dee Thompson

Dee and Tennessee Birders:
Martha Sargent and I and several Tennessee and Alabama birders saw this
marvelous first state record bird yesterday afternoon.  What a treat!  It
will obviously be a lifer for many of our friends in Alabama and in Tennessee.

Take care and God Bless.
Bob Sargent
Trussville, Alabama