[tn-bird] Re: CLARK'S NUTCRACKER...near Anniston Alabama

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:13:04 EDT

Just a thought for those of you who head to Alabama to hunt for Clarke's
nutcracker...............I got my first one(s) as I was walking behind
Timberline (Timberlake?) Lodge on Mt. Hood, Oregon.  It was just past lunch
time, and I was finishing off a bag of potato chips as I walked.  I dropped a
half of one, and, voila, several nutcrackers flew from the top of the
building right down to my feet to snatch it up.  I emptied the rest of the
package (about 6 chips) on the ground.  They snacked, I feasted on looking at
them, and they followed me the rest of the way around the hotel to my car in
the parking lot, apparently hoping for more chips.  I do not necessarily
suggest potato chips as food for them, but I have since seen them in various
places eating (scavenging) almost anything.  Perhaps they have cast iron
stomachs.  It seems that many birds do.

At Mt. Charleston, north of Las Vegas, I took pictures of these birds feeding
on the pine nuts of the lodgepole pine.  They are delightful, and usually
somewhat tame, birds, so GO TO SEE THIS FELLOW if you have never seen one.
I've never seen a Clarke's I wasn't glad to see.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN