[TN-Bird] Birding Checklist for Cove Lake State Park.

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:54:30 -0500

Cove Lake State Park is located in Campbell County, TN apx. 38 miles
North of Knoxville, TN just off I-75 at Exit  #134 for Caryville,
Lafollette, TN.
Checklist of Birds of Cove Lake State Park  available.
     For those of you that are not aware,  in the fall of 2004, I
completed a Birding Checklist for the park. I used 6 years of sightings
with average  of 1.4 visits to the park weekly. Because of the problems
with my eyesight and limited time on the computer, Campbell County high
school computer classes  took on the project of formatting the  species
checklist. It was funded and printed by "Friends of Cove Lake State
Park". Stop by the park office for a copy. NOTE:  If  you get a
checklist, please note that there was an error in communication, and
2,000 copies were printed BEFORE I had completed  the final edit!
Therefore, please  forgive the minor mistakes that you may find. The
original formatting  was cut and pasted by the printer differently than
submitted, supposedly  in order to fit the information on a  tri- fold
card. There  is also a minor mistake in species order and one typo error.
I am grateful, however, that there is at least a "first" checklist for
the park now available, and will of course be added to, and revised in
the future  as needed.
     If anyone would like to submit data, dates etc. to me for sightings
not included, I would very much welcome and appreciate  them.  I would
also welcome any other comments about the format etc. Again, I reiterate,
 that I was  not totally pleased with the end result in formatting, but
that is a minor thing that can be corrected with  the next printing.  The
next printing which will be several months or even a year from now, if I
can even get funding for another one.

     I am very grateful and must give special thanks to those individuals
who were involved in the process of this work, especially to Mr. Clarence
Lowe, and his computer class at  Campbell County High School, Lafollette,
TN.  A satisfying benefit that came from this project was working with
the kids. I was able to do a lecture on birding and field trips to the
park with the classes.  The kids were very excited  about the number of
species of birds here in their local state park and county that they had
not known existed. Therefore,  they took the project on with a sense of
purpose, understanding the need for such a list, and with great
enthusiasm. A couple have gone on and pursued birding since then.   I
would also like to mention that the drawings included on the checklist
were done by a student artists from the school, and are excellent. Credit
to all is given on the checklist itself.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN