[TN-Bird] Big Sandy Breeding Bird Survey Route

  • From: Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 21:27:51 -0500

May 31st, 2013
Benton County TN
              Chad Beachy inherited the Big Sandy BBS Route this year, a
route that was idle for some time.
               I helped him run it this morning and we managed to finnish
it on schedule in spite of several very inconvenient showers coming through
after it was too late to cancel it.
               He came up with a total of 69 species
               The worst misses were Red Tailed Hawk, Turkey Vulture, Ruby
Throated Hummingbird, Belted Kingfisher, Hairy Woodpecker, Gray Catbird,
Prothonotary Warbler, and Scarlet Tanager.
                Unexpected species were (I guess they were unexpected, they
weren't on the checklist!) Mallard 2, D C Cormorant 12, Black Vulture1,
Barred Owl3, Red Headed Woodpecker2, Cliff Swallow 1, Purple Martin 10,
Black and White Warbler 1, Yellow Throated Warbler 7, Blue Winged Warbler
1, Tennessee Warbler 1, Hooded Warbler 1, and one Grasshopper Sparrow.
                Total Warbler species 11. I suspect the detection rate for
Warblers and Blue Gray Gnatcatchers 34 on this route just went up(16 year
old hearing) and possibly Carolina wrens and Tufted Titmouse went down!
(selective hearing!)
                                                          Ruben Stoll,
Centerville TN.