[TN-Bird] Duck River Unit, Friday afternoon

  • From: Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 21:50:28 -0500

Duck River Unit, Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge
Humphreys County, New Johnsonville,TN 5/31/13
             After doing the Big Sandy BBS Route, Chad and I stopped by the
Refuge, and were surprised by the number of Shorebirds that are still
around.
          We found at least 9 species, possibly 10,
American Avocet 1
Black Bellied Plover 5
Dunlin 1
White Rumped Sand. 3
Semipalmated Sand. 9
Semipalmated Plover 30
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
          And a probable Western Sandpiper, though it was distant,in
comparison with the Semipalmated Sandpipers, the slightly larger size, The
"Hunchbacked" shape and the longer, drooptipped bill could be seen.
           There was also one Least Tern present with the Shorebirds.
                                    Ruben Stoll, Centerville, TN.