[TN-Bird] Yuchi Refuge Birds

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:13:40 -0700 (PDT)

I met a young couple from Georgia at Yuchi Refuge in Rhea County this morning.
They were much better than me at identifying birds by their songs and at
locating the birds. I credit them for two new life birds for me - a beautiful
singing male prothonotary warbler - and a black-crowned night-heron (juvenile).
Both species were at the bridge over the creek at Yuchi. The Georgia couple
also saw a female prothonotary warbler near the male, a possible nesting pair.
Another highlight from Yuchi was a three heron species day, which included a
green heron, and 3 or more great blue herons. The Georgians saw and heard
orchard orioles, and they heard a northern parula warbler. I saw a red-headed
woodpecker at Yuchi and a summer tanager at home. Several yellow-breasted chats
were heard and a few were seen. A few common yellowthroat warblers were also
observed. As many as three large red-tailed hawks were observed, as well as an
accipiter (Cooper's hawk ?) and an
 osprey. I saw fewer species than the couple, but I noted a total of 29 species
at Yuchi.

Counting other species from around home in Hamilton County and
elsewhere in Meigs and Rhea counties, my total species for the day to
this point is 43. Included in that total is a wild turkey hen seen at my home
with about 10 very young poults.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN