[TN-Bird] Re: Annoying Feeder Problem

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:38:27 -0400

I have tube feeders with fairly small perches but the bluejays and common
grackles have not been deterred by this.  The bluejays seem to have a bit of
a problem hanging on but the grackles have none.  This time of year my
feeders get emptied faster than any other time.  On the weekends when I'm
home I fill them a couple times a day.  The mockingbirds have even started
using the tube feeder that holds nuts/fruit.  The baffle on that one has
prevented the squirrels from getting to it (the kind that looks like a metal
tent) but it still empties faster than the one holding sunflower seed which
the squirrels can get to.

Also the bird bath (which is on the ground) gets heavy use.  Last evening it
was completely dry and looked like the birds had started using it for a
potty.  What a mess.

I tried a suet feeder with access only from the bottom  but the starlings,
contrary to what you'll read, had no problem hanging on and eating upside
down.  The one I'm using now has a slanted roof and narrow perches along the
sides.  The starlings love it but I've never seen a squirrel or a grackle on
it.  The suet may last 2 days tops in it.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES