[THIN] Re: windows 2003 seamless apps running on XP desktops...

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:53:39 +1000

Hi Brian,

Sorry, came on a bit heavy.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the XP interface, except for the huge
waste involved in supporting visual effects. Get a really old machine and run
XP on it with My Computer > properties > advanced > performance set to either
best appearance or best performance. Where CPU is limited, it makes a huge
difference to the perception of speed.

However there's nothing wrong with the XP user interface once animations are
disabled.

Just include the following unmanaged policy snippet in your TS policy
templates, disable visual effects and you can have the best of both worlds.

--------------------------
CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Visual Effects"
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects"
    POLICY "Visual Effects"
        PART "Disable Visual Effects"    CHECKBOX
  VALUENAME "VisualFXSetting"
      VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
      VALUEON  NUMERIC 2
        END PART