[THIN] Re: windows 2003 seamless apps running on XP desktops...

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:57:25 +0100

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:43:42 +0100, Lilley, Brian <brian.lilley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I understand that the XP theme is not available by default on windows 2003
> servers.  I assume this is because you don't need a rich user interface on a
> server.  Ok, well if that server is a terminal server then you do potentially
> want that rich interface (for well connected ICA/RDP clients).

Is if you enable the themes service

> So, my question is this, does anyone know the level of overhead required for
> the XP look and feel relative to the classic stylie?  I guess the overhead
> here is two fold, firstly, one CPU overhead to render  rounded corners and
> other XP 'stuff'... and the other overhead is in transmitting this down an ICA
> channel, i.e. does it actually require additional bandwidth.

The CPU overhead I would guess to be minimal

> Also, what would happen with transparent windowy bits  I understand the win32
> client released with FR3 for xp included support for LUNA (.net) seamless
> apps, although ... I've never tried it...

Not sure on the transparenty bits.. Outlooks message alerts dont look
too good when they fade in on seamless, they look like theyre using
the servers background rather than the clients.

> any thoughts on the subject appreciated...

I would have thought that it would require more memory on the server,
but only a teeny bit more bandwidth..?

Andrew
This Weeks Sponsor RTO Software
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=320