[THIN] windows 2003 seamless apps running on XP desktops...

  • From: "Lilley, Brian" <brian.lilley@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:43:42 +0100

hi list,

I understand that the XP theme is not available by default on windows 2003
servers.  I assume this is because you don't need a rich user interface on a
server.  Ok, well if that server is a terminal server then you do potentially
want that rich interface (for well connected ICA/RDP clients).

So, my question is this, does anyone know the level of overhead required for
the XP look and feel relative to the classic stylie?  I guess the overhead
here is two fold, firstly, one CPU overhead to render  rounded corners and
other XP 'stuff'... and the other overhead is in transmitting this down an ICA
channel, i.e. does it actually require additional bandwidth.

Also, what would happen with transparent windowy bits  I understand the win32
client released with FR3 for xp included support for LUNA (.net) seamless
apps, although ... I've never tried it...

any thoughts on the subject appreciated...

Brianos :o)

This Weeks Sponsor RTO Software
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=320