[THIN] specialized streaming apps setup question

  • From: "TSguy92 Lan" <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:04:58 -0700

I've been struggling to get some of our more specialized application
installs functioning under the streaming app profiler and after trying
several tricks I'm close to giving up hope on streaming them :( so I figured
I'd see if anyone else may have some insight.

In particular the problems I'm having with the profiling of 2 of our apps
are:

 - one of our vendor installs requires a reboot after which it registers a
slew of Dll's.
    - the virtual reboot option is nice, but the dll registrations from the
setup application after the virtual reboot fail.
    - I'd tried a variety of tricks I can think of to register the failed
DLLS within the app profile, but all attempts to call out regsvr32 appear to
be local machine call outs only, and don't work within the virtual app
profile space.
        - other dos commands such as xcopy, and MD, from CMD scripts DO
affect the virtual app profile space, and will dutifully adjust files and
folders there, as opposed to the local profiler machine host.
    - If I make a directory on my machine used for profiling and put all the
DLLS there, then regsvr32 works, but of course, it doesn't affect the app
profile. :(
    - I'm currently recording all registry adjustments made by doing a
Regsvr32 "dllname" on another system with regmon, but manually creating all
of these adjustments to the app profile will be a major pain. If that's what
it takes . .so be it . .but ugh...

My other app issue with creating a profile is due to an app that requires a
specialized COM component to be manually created and adjusted.

 - I've run into pretty much the same issues here as with the DLL
registration process. Attempting to import an "exported" COM component from
a correctly setup system won't import into the virtual app profile.
 - attempting to run the COM configuration app from within the app profile
wizards only ever makes these COM adjustments to the local machine, not the
app profile.

So far I believe my options are down to either trying to recreate all
registry and file system adjustments these apps may require by hand within
the virtual app profile, or giving up the ghost all together on attempts to
stream them. The sad part is that both of these tricky little app
installs are required to be running within the same memory space as our Core
production apps, which I can profile and stream with absolutely no issues.

Thoughts / suggestions much appreciated

TIA

Lan