[THIN] Re: specialized streaming apps setup question

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:15:50 +1000

Hi,

Managing reboots after an application install really isn't much of an issue.

You're faced with several possible scenarios.

The first is post reboot application DLL registration, etc which is almost
always by populating the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce key.

If you get the runonce key values and manually execute the commands, you'll
be completing the installation procedure. So it doesn't really need a reboot
to complete things from an installtion recording viewpoint.

You can have a scenario where some in-use files are flagged to be replaced
post-reboot. These are listed under
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\FileRenameOperations.
If the install is for an application, this will only arise for replacement
system DLLS under the system32 folder and can generally (famous last words)
be safely ignored.

If the application "insists" on a reboot at the end of the install process,
you cab overcome this by creating an admin user that has no reboot rights,
so when the install process tries to force a reboot, nothing happens. Take
care of the eunonce and file rename oprtayions and you have a complete
package/profile.

regards,

Rick

--