[THIN] Re: What is the optimal RAID configuration

  • From: Jeff Rapp <JeffR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:54:20 -0400

I don't think Joe was saying that the valuable data is on your terminal
server, what about an application that runs on a different server? For
example, we run MAS200 which we have to perform an end of day update that
does a bunch of different things. MAS200 is on a different server but if the
client session suddenly went bye-bye in the middle of the update it would
cause serious corruption problems. So, valuable data need not be on your TS
server to be affected by something happening on the on your TS server.

And do I really want 25 to 30 users to loose their sessions in the middle of
creating a transaction or an important word document or spreadsheet just
because I didn't put an extra few hundred bucks in the server? I don't think
so

So in our case any fault-tolerance I can put in the better I am and the
better I sleep at night. So I am willing to pay the extra 400 to 600 bucks
to put an additional HD in my servers. Most new servers come with an array
controller so the cost is very minimal.

Farms are great, so is imaging, but they were not made to protect against
hardware faults. It comes down to each situation, in my case I have reasons
and prejudices that make me want to maintain RAID on my servers, others may
not.

Jeff