[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX Server

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:38:51 -0600

Jen, Did you get my paper on the VM selection process? IE what makes a
good candidate for Virtualization. Not everything does. Apps/server with
high numbers of system/kernel calls, Citrix servers that have "bad" apps
on them and not just office (which is what they used in every test
trying to compare Citrix on Phys hardware to Citrix on VMs) etc etc.

Basically we state that not everything should be a VM. I am ok with DCs
being on blades but maybe not in a VM. A DC on a blade is not bad, a DC
that get really utilized (Like for a 10 or 20K user domain etc) Might
not be a good idea until you have your VMware environment nailed down
tight.

Most people jump in without having any processes in place and aren't
even sure of their environment.  You really have got to treat VMware
kinda like Citrix and TS, On an App By App basis.

Paper can be grabbed here:
http://www.vmguru.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1
and the free chapter for the book (that contains most of the info in the
paper) is on Brian Madden's site www.brianmadden.com
<http://www.brianmadden.com/>

BTW, we generally rule of thumb it that 30% of any intel environment is
NOT a fit for VMware. Now I have seen higher and lower but it's a good
number to start with.

Ron Oglesby

Senior Technical Architect

Microsoft MVP, Windows Server