[THIN] Re: VMWare ESX Server

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:18:07 -0700

Are you using the vmxnet or vlance driver?

Did you disable the COM ports in the BIOS of the citrix server?

Are you using the buslogic or lsilogic scsi driver?

Have you setup vmkusage?

Are you running 2.1.2?  older version?  vSMP and/or Hyperthreading?

Are you over subscribing the Host memory?  If so, are you seeing a lot of
disk i/o relating to swap file?

Are you backending the VM to a SAN?  Or are the .dsk/.vmdk files on the
blade?

Have you configures shares, mins and max for resources?

Have you evaluate the workloads for each VM on the host?  Are they a good
fit for that host?

Have the servers been optimized? Tweaked?

I've run into skepticism of running on VM.  This is generally because it's
an unknown technology to them. Just because they don't understand it doesn't
mean it doesn't work..   Just like Citrix.

Could the failures be because the servers are misconfigured or setup poorly?

Joe

  _____