[THIN] Re: Tell us What New features do you want in Terminal Services?

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:29:13 -0500

Yeah did you see Stu's article from Wserver news?   Check this out...

*Hassles With Vista On Your Admin Workstation

*I asked our Sunbelt Admins here what they thought of using Vista in their
admin environment. We have about 130 people here, but more than 250 machines
and a Gigabit connection to the Net. Here is what John said: "Here are the
two biggest problems that I run across daily - AD Users and Computers and
DHCP. To start with the last, with DHCP I'm able to add the DHCP snap-in to
my MMC but it doesn't let me really do anything. I manage authorized servers
and all of the features that I'm used to seeing are non-existent. For some
reason, I'm able to change global server settings but I'm unable to view
DHCP leases, add DHCP registrations or the like. Basically useless.

"AD Users and Computers; Flat out isn't't available so I have nothing bad to
say about the functionality because, well, there *IS* none! I have found
some posts out there about ways to trick the system into letting you use
some of the snapins, for example:
http://www.wservernews.com/B8MATK/070305-Vista-Hassles

"If I wanted to spend this much time setting my system I'd install Linux...
I should mention that I am running the 32-bit version of Vista and it
apparently gets the red-headed-step-child treatment (no more than 3GB of RAM
- just like XP). I believe there might be some add'l functionality available
on the 64-bit version, but since I'm running this to find out what kind of
problems our users are going to have when they decide to take the plunge and
upgrade... I need to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples and run the
version they would be using.

"Another one. If I have to TS into a Windows 2000 machine (client or
server), you have to log in twice. They've changed the authentication on the
remote desktop client such that you have to give RDC your credentials before
you connect to the machine, and if it's not W2K3 you will have to enter your
info a second time. Is it that big of a deal? Not really. Just an annoyance.
Last one, Telnet isn't installed by default. OK, it's an easy fix... it's in
Add/Remove Windows Components. It's an optional component now as opposed to
'just being there'. Normally not a big deal but at 12:30 at night when
you're trying to check firewall rules it's kind of annoying. ;)

The link below has an article with add'l comments on the lack of IT tools
available to Vista users." My comment: Redmond, do something about this
please?
http://www.wservernews.com/B8MATK/070305-Vista-Tools

=========
Doesn't make me want to jump up and get vista at the moment.
JK

On 3/7/07, Joe Shonk <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Also,  beg, pled whatever you have to do to keep Longhorn from looking
and acting like Vista.  The last thing I need is a dumbed down flashy server
OS with all of the options I'm used to rearranged and difficult to find.
Things like UAC should not be enable by default,  only if the system
administrator finds it necessary to annoy their users.

Also, how about better vendor support at launch (or better compatibility
with App)?    I had spent several hours rebuilding VMs using Virtual PC
because VMware Workstation 5.5.3 doesn't run on Vista.

Joe