[THIN] Re: Swap file recommendations

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:48:37 +1100

Hi Angela,

Yeah....way too big. You will often find that even with a 4GB pages
file, it's usage is only 30 - 40%, so why create larger ones? Run up
Perf Mon and check the pagefile usage under load. Personally, I start
with a 4GB pagefile, and cut back from there.

None of your "client" apps will be PAE aware...not even the MS Office
Suite. Like I said the extra addressable memory will only be used by the
system as virtual memory.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

From: stefan.timmermans@xxxxxxxxx
To: angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [THIN] Re: Swap file recommendations
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:45:06 +0100

Angela,

The PAE switch is ok, if the apps (or at least some ) are PAE aware
(kind of > 32bit but less then a real 64 bit environment), so this might
be limitted to MS apps addressing above the 4GB barrier (maybe Oracle ?
anyone an idea on that ? or does Oracle have its own memory manager as
some SAP products do ??)

Paging beyond 4096MB requires several volumes as there is an limit
imposed per volume of 4096MB (but there is a backdoor to create separate
folders for every pagefile)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237740

Regards,

Stefan