[THIN] Re: Server graphics card

  • From: Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:14:53 +0200

On 10/27/06, Rob Slayden <rslayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are trying to boost the performance of a poorly performing app (Flex and
Flash-based) and the most recent request has been to install a better
graphics card in the server to assist in the rendering.

What on earth does the requester think thay are going to acheive with this? If a high performance graphica card could make a difference to server performance, then you would be able to get one as an option. AFAIK, none of the major Wintel server suppliers have graphics cards as an option, which is a good reason for not considering this route - unsupported HW and drivers.

Intuitively I know
that it is not the graphics card that is doing the rendering, but the
multi-win GDI.

Correct. You should have more confidence in yourself.

Can someone point me in the right direction regarding a KB or
white paper or some other source that definitively indicates that server
graphics card has little to do with the local client rendering?

Gooling for 'Flash Citrix' seems to give pointers to some articles that explain that Flash Accelleration is a Citrix feature, implying that it's software, therefore HW will not change things.

That would
be awesome, and yes I already know that Flex and Flash are bad ideas for
MetaFrame but despite the repeated warnings, the app was developed in them
anyway.

Reading between the lines, would I be right in thinking that you have
someone putting pressure on you to do things that you know are
technically not a good idea?