[THIN] Re: Server Upgrade Question

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:34:15 -0400

A terminal server, being a shared device, needs to be "server class" due to
the risks of downtime.  Of course if nobody remembers downtime that doesn't
do you much good.  Upgrading will help performance in the following ways:

1)      Multiple CPU.  Buy at least a dual core.  Multiple CPU is necessary
in a terminal server so that a print job by user A doesn't put all other
users waiting on an hour glass.

2)      Higher speed SCSI disks.  Like it or not, your system will be bound
by the disk.  Higher RPM disks, and multiple of them (like putting the page
file on it's own spindle) improves user productivity.

These are just the starters, but they are tops on my list.

Tim Mangan