[THIN] Re: It's Official.. Go get Internet Explorer 7 now!

  • From: "Sam Johnston" <samj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:57:20 +0100

I consider Firefox's lack of ActiveX support one of its top features
and as a Debian GNU/Linux developer I've grown accustomed to the
advantages of backporting individual security fixes; pushing through a
major release as a high priority update is somewhat obnoxious (I've
discussed this on my blog:
http://citrite.org/blogs/samj/2006/10/19/ie7-arrives-along-with-first-security-vulnerability/)

Like any complex piece of software I would expect Firefox to have
published vulnerabilities, and given the availability of source code
for peer review I would expect to see more public vulnerabilities for
it even if it were significantly more secure overall. The fact that I
have source code available under a sensible license makes me a lot
more comfortable too (even if I'm yet to do a whole lot with it
myself).

Firefox's extensions are worth a look too - thanks to them
(specifically Google Browser Sync:
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/) I can do things like
maintain common settings (bookmarks etc.) across browsers on Windows,
OS X and Linux.

Sam

On 10/19/06, Roger Riggins <roger.riggins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can appreciate open souce, open standards, and FireFox. But, it doesn't
work with all websites, and it doesn't support ActiveX. If you're going to
deploy this in your company then you'd better do a lot of testing, just as
you should before moving to IE7.

On a personal note, I won't even use FireFox at home any more because
formatting is so screwed up on so many websites. Bottom line is that I want
my apps to work and FireFox was a waste of my time one too many times.

Roger Riggins Network Administrator Lutheran Services in Iowa w: 319.859.3543 c: 319.290.5687 http://www.lsiowa.org

From: Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com