[THIN] Re: Server Replication

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:16:31 -0700

Hardware mirror is not the best approach (it can work, but it is not
recommended) and here is why.

  - Not Hardware Agnostic
  - No business continuity (if you servers got hit by a virus,  how do
  you rebuild the farm?  you'll be mirroring over a contaminated server)
  - NewSid and Sidgen do not know how to deal with DCOM ACLs and the
  sort.
  - For Ghost like images.  The amount of work required to get the a PS
  4.0 or PS 4.5 server running, you could have run a post image script
  to install PS 4.x nice and cleanly.

Joe

Also,  the DSN does not need to be changed... Citrix removed that
requirement as of MetaFrame XP FR3.

On 5/2/07, Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 For our Citrix deployment we always build a first server and test it to
death. Once we're happy, we either use RAID mirroring to replicate the
contents of the hard drive to the other servers (break the mirror, move one
drive to another server, use that to rebuild its' own RAID array, rinse and
repeat) or, thanks to some troublesomely intelligent RAID controllers on
recent Dell servers, use Symantec Ghost to take an image of the hard drive
and restore it to the new servers.

Once the image is restored, take the server off the network before
starting it up. Login and run a SID-changing utility (like newsid) before
renaming the server, giving it a new IP address and tweaking the Citrix DSN.

That's always worked for us.