[THIN] Re: Script To Install All Post SP Hotfixes?

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:28:25 +1200

  New Zealand is ahead of the world in what technology? I'm mainly referring
to broadband access, and the fact is that of OECD countries, New Zealand is
number 24 out of the 32 OECD countries in broadband access
(http://www.oecd.org/document/60/0,2340,en_2825_495656_2496764_1_1_1_1,00.ht
ml). Korea and Iceland are ahead of NZ for Pete's sake!
  The cost of communications here is ridiculous thanks to the monopoly that
the government allows Telecom, and just a few days ago, the Minister of
Communications decided to perpetuate that monopoly by not forcing Telecom to
unbundle the local loop and therefore, foster competition in the
communications market
(http://www.slingshot.co.nz/About/view_press.asp?article=press_20040519).
They've unbundled data, allowing competition for broadband on Telecom's
lines, but ONLY UP TO 256KBPS, which stretches the definition of broadband.
According to the founder of Slingshot, "this decision will take New Zealand
from being about 5 years behind Australia in terms of technology and
telecommunications, to 8 or 10 years behind. " And, according to CallPlus's
CEO, "Unfortunately the long term future is that New Zealand is now going to
accelerate backwards from the rest of the developed world in terms of
broadband speeds, availability and facilities-based competition."
  I love New Zealand, but it's frustrating to have to tolerate inferior,
overpriced communications services.