[THIN] Re: Profile migration from Windows 2003 to 2008R2

  • From: Andreas Roth <art-freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:42:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi Joe,

srry, but we have to correct some technical details:

> and actually %AppData% is "Application Data" which becomes
> "AppData\Roaming" in V2.  Microsoft still insists on shoving stuff in the
> AppData\Local and AppData\locallow

Wrong! %appdata% is "AppData\Roaming" (v2 defa%ult) while %LocalAppData% is
"AppData\Local".
So if your application saving settings to Appdata\myapplication it's in v1
default physical stored in "application data\myapplication" and in V2 physical
stored in Appdata\Roaming\myapplication. But your application doesn't care for
the physical location. This is the main idea why redirecting folder is
working...

> HKCU\Software\myjunkware becomes HKCU\Software\Wow3264Node\myjunkware

Wrong! x86 Processes write to HKCU\Software\myjunkware (same as x64) while
machine settings are saved in HKLM(!)\Software\Wow6432(!)Node\

... that's why moving settings from w2k3 to w2k8+ is soooo easy... .

Cheers,

Andreas