[THIN] Office 2000 and no assistant installed popup

  • From: "Jeff Pitsch" <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:16:42 -0500

Ok, so ignore the last email I was able to get the hotfix I needed but it
didn't fix the problem it was supposed too.  Here is the situation:  Office
2000 SP3 with fully patched.  Windows 2003 SP1 fully patched.  Word and only
Word when stated by a user gets the message "There are no Office Assistant
character files present on the system.  Please run Setup in maintenance mode
and install at least one character."  Again, this ONLY happens with Word and
does it when a user starts Word.  It comes up automatically.  I've run
regmon and filemon with nothing showing up to indicate a permissions issue.
I've installed a hotfix that a MS kb article said fixes the problem (it
hasn't obviously).  I'm at a loss.  Office was installed using the proper
MST that's not it either.  Anyone have any ideas?  It's been way too long
since I've dealt with Office 2000 and I don't remember this happening ever
before.  Google turns up tons of info but nothing helpful in this situation.

Jeff