[THIN] Re: OT: very wierd email problem

  • From: Henry Sieff <hsieff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:04:24 -0600

Although I agree that rDNS is not a kill-all, it doesn't work quite as you
describe; the email address in the From: line isn't want the mail servers
use for the rDNS; rather, its the IP address of the mail relay being used to
send. IIRC, the most commonly used ones don't care if, say, mail
from:user@xxxxxxxxxxx comes via mailserver.domain2.com as long as the IP
address of the server connecting resolves to an FQDN. Using it WILL cut down
on the amount of spam (open up the headers of some spam you've received and
you will see that many come form mail servers without rDNS entries (unless
your mail server is already set to deny that).

I picked one at random from my spam trap:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=195.240.199.238 shows that the
sending mail relay lacks a rDNS entry.

Its not a GREAT solution, because not all spam comes from servers w/o PTR's,
and legitimate email often does come from servers w/o PTR's. However, imo
lacking a valid PTR for a mail server (or any other internet server) is a
misconfiguration that should be corrected. (Many server side bayesian spam
solutions use the lack of a PTR as one token among many when it comes to
making its decisions, since lacking the PTR increases the chance that the
mail is spam.)

I'll go one further: if you run sendmail, you can find many open sourcey
bayesian spam filters which are free, so I don't think the admins who have
enabled this feature are doing so out of lack of budget. More likely, its a
decision made out of irritation with improperly configured DNS's and SPAM,
and the decision that the slight cost of losing mail from misconfigured
domains is outweighed by the clear reduction in spam in using it. *X admins
can be a grumpy lot, and mostly it is them that use this sort of thing.