[THIN] Re: OT: very wierd email problem

  • From: "Nick Smith" <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:06:32 -0000

It seems to be happening thusly;

Management: We want something done about spam
Technicians: Sure, there's this great anti-spam software, it costs about
$50/user
CIO: I don't have any budget left
Management: We're not giving you more budget, and we still want
something done about spam.
Technicians: Uhhh, well, we can activate this reverse DNS thing on our
server. That won't cost anything..
CIO: Great, do it
Technicians:...but spammers always fake legitimate adresses so it won't
do any good.
CIO: <After pause> Don't tell Management. <To Management> Well, we've
activated reverse DNS.
Management: Hoooray. We have proactively Done Something about Spam. And
it cost nothing. Doubles and bonuses all round.
Technicians: Let's go play Quake. It's more productive.

Presumably it's along the same lines that everyone activated their "It
would be really nice to tell people they've sent a virus tick box". No
it &(**& wouldn't, it's always a fake address!!!! Turn the blo*dy things
off, please!

<Bored of telling users "no, you're not sending a virus. I know the
email says you are. Look, just trust me on this..." 20 times a day>.