[THIN] OT: question for you programmers

  • From: "Roger Riggins" <roger.riggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0600

Our programmers are writing web applications that connect to SQL
databases. We want it so that they can be moved to different IIS or SQL
servers as easily as possible. I thought that using either system of
file DSN's would be the way to go, but our programmers say:

" DSN is "hard wired" on the machine or server.  DSN-less connections
mean I can access the database from any computer, anywhere.  The
connection string is within the code, in an include file. The config
files will be used to put in database info, file locations and other
essential information so the info can be modified if required."

As a network administrator, I want to be able to move these apps without
any knowledge of the app itself or the code it was written in.

Can somebody please tell me what best practice is when writing these
apps?

Thanks,