[THIN] Re: OT: question for you programmers

  • From: "Landin, Mark" <Mark.Landin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:38:05 -0600

>As a network administrator, I want to be able to move these apps
without any knowledge
>of the app itself or the code it was written in.

Well DOBC is pretty much the abstraction layer you want. Something,
somewhere, has to know the name of the database server that has the data
you want, right? ODBC is what, among other things, provides a layer of
abstraction between an application and a database provider.

If your application has a catchy name like APP, then make a ODBC
connection called APP. Tell your programmers that all database access
should be made through a DSN connection you are going to call "APP".
Configure the APP DSN to point to whatever database you want. When the
data moves to another DB server, change the server name in the APP DSN.
The application itself won't know anything has changed and of course no
change to the application would be required. If, on the other hand, your
app moves to new IIS server, just create a DSN on that server called
APP. The SQL server won't know that anything has changed.

If that's not what you are after, please clarify.